Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vegan Polenta - Loaded with Vegetables

One of my new favorite vegan dishes is polenta loaded with vegetables.  Polenta is a delicious grain made from corn, so it is important to buy organic polenta, as most corn is genetically modified.  This polenta recipe makes for an especially delicious VB6 meal because it is dense and delicious and loaded with vegetables! 

I start with a whole head of cauliflower and some white or green onion.


First, I measure out one cup of polenta, which I rinse under cold water and strain in a fine mesh strainer.  Next I chop up the cauliflower into small pieces and slice the onion. 


I like to saute the onion in two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil until the onions are tender (about 3 minutes), and then I add 3-1/2 cups of liquid (either water, vegetable broth, or a combination of the two).


Once the liquid comes to a boil, I slowly stir in the polenta, followed by the chopped cauliflower, and about 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt.  I bring the liquid back to a boil, stir well, and then cover the pot and allow everything to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently so that the polenta stays smooth.  Next, I remove the pot from the heat, stir in a bunch of chopped fresh dill and a little black pepper, and cover the pot and allow the polenta to rest for ten minutes.  Finally, I pour the mixture into a casserole dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.


The polenta will become very firm in the refrigerator.  When you are ready to eat a piece (or the whole pan!), cut it into squares and heat it up.  You can quickly heat an individual piece in the microwave -- I often bring a piece with me to work and heat it up and eat it for breakfast -- or you can broil or fry your polenta squares until warm throughout.  The frying and broiling methods add a delicious crispiness to your finished polenta. 

This version of polenta is loaded with delicious cauliflower, one of my favorite vegetables, but you can definitely substitute broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, or any number of other cruciferous vegetables.  If you do substitute another vegetable, then you may or may not want to include the dill (or another herb), depending on the flavor profile you want.  Cauliflower and dill are delicious together, but if you substitute broccoli, for example, you will probably want to omit the dill. 

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, this looks delicious and easy enough for me to make... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete