Translate

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Arugula-Pasta Salad

 

This is one of my favorite pasta salads -- it's heavy on the salad but still satisfies those pasta cravings!  First, I measure out about 2 cups of good pasta-salad pasta.  I used strozzapreti, but other good choices include orecchiette, fusilli or cavatelli.  I cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water until it is just a little past al dente.
 

While the pasta is cooking, I peel and cut up one turnip into thin matchstick slices.



And I rinse and dry a bunch of wild arugula -- about 4 cups, and a few leaves of fresh basil, chopped.


Finally, I measure out about 1 cup of diced marinated artichoke hearts -- with or without pimentos -- either is fine.


When the pasta is ready, I drain it and rinse it in cold water to arrest the cooking.  Then I combine all the ingredients.


I dress the salad with a simple vinaigrette -- 1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/8-cup fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt.  I whisk that together, pour it over the salad, and toss.  Then I season with plenty of fresh ground black pepper and some additional salt, if needed.


This is the vegan version, and it's ready to serve, but if you are so-inclined, you may want to add some shaved Parmesan cheese for an extra bite.  I love this salad served alongside a crusty sourdough baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment