Translate

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Ridiculously Good Oven-Baked Ratatouille



What I like most about this Mark Bittman-inspired Ratatouille recipe, is that the fresh vegetables are baked, not fried, thus making it more of a Tian of Provencal Vegetables.  It's absolutely delicious, and the recipe could not be easier!

I start with 1 Bermuda onion, 1 Anaheim pepper, 1 poblano pepper, 2 Italian eggplants, 2 zucchini, 2 Roma tomatoes, and 5 heads of garlic.  First, I slice the onion and peppers into long, thin strips.  Next, I slice the eggplant, zucchini and tomato lengthwise into 1/4-inch  slices, and finally, I peel and slice the garlic into very thin slices.


I also chop about 1/2 cup of Italian flat leaf parsley.


In a casserole, I start layering the vegetables, starting with half of the onion slices,...


... followed by half of the sliced eggplant,...


... followed by half of the sliced the tomatoes, half of the pepper strips, and half of the zucchini slices.


Then I add half of the sliced garlic and half chopped parsley, as well as sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste...


...and repeat.

I drizzle 1/4-cup of very good extra virgin olive oil over the top, cover, add a bit more salt and pepper, and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, pressing down the vegetables with a spatula every 1/2 hour or so until the vegetables are soft and completely cooked through.


The finished dish is divine, served hot, cold, or room temperature.  We love it along side rice or bulgur, and it also makes a great starter.


No comments:

Post a Comment